Update 11.8.2012: From the office of Domenic Recchia, coneyislandrecovers.org :
This Saturday, November 10, we are calling for volunteers to come to Coney Island. Tasks will include storm damage clean up, distribution of supplies to storm victims, and outreach to affected residents and businesses. If you’re interested in volunteering, please fill out this brief sign-up form.
The day will begin at 9 am. Please come to Tom’s Restaurant, located on the Boardwalk at the end of Stillwell Avenue (one block from the Coney Island-Stillwell Ave subway terminal), to sign in and get your volunteer assignment. Can’t wait to see you there, and thanks!
If you plan on volunteering, we suggest that you:
- Dress warmly, wear sturdy footwear or boots, and bring work gloves.
- If you can, bring your own flashlight (with extra batteries); a backpack; clean up tools such as a shovel, outdoor broom, contractor bags, etc; and snacks & water for yourself for the day.
Donation requests for distribution to residents:
- School supplies
- Canned or nonperishable goods
- Individually wrapped sandwiches
- Cleaning supplies
- Toilet paper
- Heavy duty contractor trash bags
Please note that bathroom access on site will be very limited. Check MTA’s website for the easiest route to get there.